spot.com

Monday, August 3, 2009

Tune of the day - Pete Seeger at the Obama Inauguration



Was trying to get this down on the banjo today. This is commie/pinko/folkie/leftie-activist Pete Seeger doing his old friend Woodie Guthrie's 'This land is your land' at the Obama inauguration. I believe Seeger turned 90 last year...

He is joined here by Bruce Springsteen, with Pete's grandson and a group of high-school choir kids. In this rendition, they include slightly altered versions of the 2 'lost' verses from the song; verses which seemed to have often been omitted on most cover versions in the past:-

"In the squares of the city, and the shadow of a steeple;
By the relief office, I saw my people,
As they stood there hungry, I stood there whistling...
This land was made for you and me?"


"A great high wall there, that tried to stop me;
A great big sign there saying 'Private property';
On the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me"

No comments:

Post a Comment